Melodie and I will begin 2014 with a 21 day Daniel Fast. We have chosen to modify the Daniel Fast slightly due to the fact that we are training to run a half marathon in May. (We are not wanting to be legalistic but we know that setting parameters ahead of time will help avoid confusion and “caving in” to cravings in the middle of this fast).
I will share the basics of the plan and then share our personal modifications. We also hope to be able to share recipe ideas to help you be successful on this plan, if you choose to join us in the Daniel fast.
Acceptable foods (I have listed some examples but the list is not exhaustive):
- all vegetables
- all fruits
- all whole grains (ie. whole wheat, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, quinoa, oats, etc)
- all nuts and seeds (including natural nut butters- almond, peanut, etc. Just make sure you don’t get those that are full of sugar)
- all legumes (ie. lentils, split peas, any kind of beans)
- quality oils (olive, canola, sesame, peanut)
- Milk substitutes – plant based- (rice milk, almond milk, soy milk). Avoid those that are sweetened.
- Other: tofu, soy products, seasonings, vinegar, salt, herbs and spices
Foods to avoid:
- all meat and animal products
- all dairy products (including milk, cheese, butter, eggs)
- all sweeteners (including honey, sugar, sugar substitutes)
- refined food (white flour, white bread, white rice,etc)
- deep fried foods
- solid fats (butter, shortening, lard)
Here are our predetermined exceptions:
- We will have one cup of coffee each morning. (most Daniel type fasting plans encourage drinking only water throughout the fast)
- We will add (plant based) soy protein powder on strenuous work out days.
- It would be wise to check with your doctor before starting any kind of fast.
- If you do choose to join us on this fast, we encourage you to make yourself accountable to a small group leader, friend or family member.
- Make sure to set aside time for reading the Word of God and for prayer as this is what sets this aside as a fast and not just a diet plan.
For a more extensive understanding of this kind of plan, you can read Rick Warren’s book. http://www.amazon.com/The-Daniel-Plan-Days-Healthier/dp/0310344298 .